Monday, June 16, 2008

Go ahead say "can't"





One of the things my father said over and over as we grew up was "there is no such word as Can't." Whatever you thought you couldn't , was simply your own shortcoming. My father wanted us to be positive thinkers. It was a gift, his gift, his way of parenting. Yesterday my sister and I walked through the Botanic Gardens with him for Fathers Day morning. We all love gardening and have a bit of a healthy competition amongst ourselves. So, I give you some roses from the Chicago Botanic Gardens.

I give myself permission to say I can't, now adays. I think it is healthier actually.

I can't grow roses....they get black spots and aphids and worse, they die over hard winters. So I go to the Botanic gardens and enjoy their roses.

I can't reverse a stitch pattern in my head that reads, "at the same time". I can't . It is fine that I can't. There are many things to knit that don't involve a v-neck. Someday, someone will right the pattern out in a way that makes sense to my knit brain, and then maybe I will knit something with a v-neck.

I can't bake a good batch of cookies when I try. So, I know the best little cookie bakeries around. I never turn a homemade cookie down. I can make rice krispie treats that are never long for the pan, however.

I can't do a kitchener without whining, so I knit round toes or do a three kneedle bnd off.

Can'ts are okay. I read a great little article about how it is actually healthier to give up in some situations than try to keep going. I'm going to give up a little more today. I'll let you know how it goes.....


I'll talk to you in the comments. :)

16 comments:

Nell said...

Yummm.... now I'm thinking about rice krispie treats!

I can't cook a steak. I accept my shortcomings!

Angel said...

Hmm- I can't deal with any hard math-- I guess that is my "can't!"

And the trick to V-neck sweater knitting is to make a few, totally screw up, and learn by doing. But I have to say, I used to really hate them until it finally "clicked." There are also patterns that are much better then others....

Karen said...

I agree, can'ts are just fine. As long as we don't focus on them too much - and remember all our cans.

I can't do a cartwheel - never could.

I can't sing (well, I can't sing on key!!)

I still can't crochet - maybe some day.

I can't stop missing my hubby when he's at work. :)

Kathy said...

Oh Missing your hubby is a good thing. ;)

Beverly said...

Shortcomings, limitations kinda one in the same. I can bake almost everything, but I can't bake biscuit. I can't ride a bike without looking like a dork. I can't shoot a basketball, but my 4 other siblings can play the hell out of hoops.

Jennifer said...

Hmmmm - very interesting concept. I like the way you think!

Cookey_knits said...

I can't do alot of things but I do like to focus on the things that I can do, it just makes me feel better.

Grace Yaskovic said...

I had the same luck with roses, even though i adore them, i found this week past they thrive in the sandy soil of the shore----now if I had a yard i'd try again!

Knit and fall back in it said...

I don't let myself say can't either. I keep trying until I figure out whatever I'm trying to do. Sometimes it becomes a skill that I am proud to have and other times it becomes something that I have done once, but will never do again.

And those are beautiful pictures, btw.

Emily said...

Does the three-needle bind-off work? It doesn't make an uncomfortable ridge in your shoe?

Trudy said...

Not here to tell you how to DO any of them--I have a black thumb--I just have learned to say "can't" too, and it's not half as bad as some people said!

Kathy said...

Emily,

THe three needle bind off doesn't seem to bother me at all when I wear my socks. I haven't noticed.

Grace,

What a good tip Grace. Our soil is not not not sandy. That is probably the downfall of my roses. THANKS! it isn't me, it is the soil! :)

Katherine said...

I can't do kichener period! No whining necessary. So I gave up long ago and don't even try. I am, however, a master at mattress stitch. Can'ts are okay if you follow them with cans!

The Yarn Nut said...

I think it's ok that you can't. I can't grow roses although I plant 5-6 a year with the hopes one day it will turn into the most wonderful can. I will not give up! I look at my neighbors roses every year that are simply a sight to behold and dream.

Anonymous said...

It's not that I can't, it's just that I won't. If I want to do anything I can keep trying. And I can do anything just not very well every time. I don't enjoy sewing or knitting because presently they are too tedious for me. I love to garden but often can't get things to grow in one place or another but I "won't and can't" stop trying (I'm a gardening addict)! So I can keep trying and do and have found out a lot about gardening around my house. Someday when I have more patience with myself I'll try sewing and knitting. A time for everything, doncha know. Neat pix. Kathy W.

Nat Red Knits said...

There is no shame in something we can't do. We can't all be perfect! ;)

Blog Archive