NOT a sad baby story



(shown is debbie bliss vogue L baby blanket image)

One of the mom's in our neonatal unit is knitting her baby a blanket. She sits at the bedside on days when she cannot hold her son and knits a blanket for him. (NO CRYING pretend friends) I swooped down over her as soon as I saw the yarn in her hands.

She told this is the first thing she has ever knitted. I took a look at her yarn. It is a grey blue with some flecks of color, and it is acrylic. I tell her this is a great choice. The blanket will be able to handle lots of washing.

She is supposed to be knitting stockinette but a few rows of garter appear in a cluster. I tell her it gives the blanket character.

Then, I asked if she was counting her stitches.................
she didn't know she was supposed to.
Me and my big mouth.
I showed her how to add a safety pin as a stitch marker.

She isn't very far into the little blanket so I hope I helped her.
There is no way on earth I could have learned to knit with my baby in intensive care.
Talk about knitting under pressure.

This lead to my thinking about how most baby blankets aren't that cute.
I like this debbiebliss because it is colorful and playful.
I have yet to see many really cute baby blankets.

I guess having worked in nurseries all my career I am tired of pastel, boring, easy patterns.

If any one knows of a fun unique colorful blanket, leave me a link please.








I'll talk to you in the comments. :)

Comments

Grace said…
I like the rambling rows, and then there is the dishcloth variation with the hearts in it I did, and Leisure Arts has a great book, some of Debbie Macomber's knitting pamphlets have some easy adorable ones too!!

sorry but this pretend friends' eyes did well up
Mom has the baby taken care of I will be sending a shawl for you to give mom!!
Ling said…
I like the blankets in Lucinda Guy's books - Handknits for Kids and And So To Bed. There not colourful, but quite whimsical.

My thoughts and prayers for the Mom with her baby in the neo-natal unit. Having gone through worries with having a premature baby myself, I certainly didn't have the focus and ability to knit.
kathy b said…
Grace
Rambling rows is beautiful. I loved the images that came up on google images.

Ling
Al has the Lucinda Guy book, I'll have to revisit it. Thanks
Birdsong said…
It is a very good pattern, and would look even more fun in brights... you saw I am working on the pastels, but also planning a bright quilt. I really don't care for the baby theme of pink-white-blue, and prefer bright reds, dark greens, happy yellows, sunny oranges....
Bianca said…
Prayers are going to mom and her baby. I think it is wise that she has something to do to pass the time. I'll send a little something your way that you should pass on to her...
Monika said…
I like the blanket you pictured. I have this link for you:
http://yarnloopie.blogspot.com/2009/01/fos-1.html

Scroll down a bit and watch out for my dog. He's on a Baby blanket called "Bliss". It's a free pattern and I love it. You can find it on ravelry.
Ewe-niss said…
I did a variation on the Parcheesi afghan to make it a baby blanket.
This is a fun pattern. It isn't free, but close. They ask for you to make a donation to Heifer International.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Ewe-niss/parcheesi-afghan

Very sweet story. Not sad. Really not sad. *sniff*
Beverly said…
I don't have a blanket pattern, but I loved reading this.
kathy b said…
Thanks everyone for the wonderful blanket links. I enjoyed looking at them all!!!
JustApril said…
Great story, I don't think I could have learned to knit under those circumstances either.

I have made 2 very colorful baby blankets, I'll email the links to you.

Popular posts from this blog

The nearly Thousandth post Contest

Talk to you in the comments Contest

Cookie Sheet Blanket Contest .....