Almost finished....


It needs some reshaping and it needs the right button/flower or something on the bottom right. That's the plan. I had to wash it 4 times in my front loader to get it felted to my liking. (environmentalists don't come after me...I washed different jeans with it each time. I didn't use a car to shop for a purse so I saved on pollution that way too..)

I'm reading Brene Brown's book I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME. She talks about growing up in a culture of shame. Fascinating reading. I have always known my family reared me with shame consequences. Reading the book is a workshop in trying to undo the shame damage. It is so good to read that you are not alone.

Off to the Farmers market before Pre sleep for the workend. I hope to buy a baked treat for my fellow night shift workers. Too hot for me to bake anything myself.....

Did you grow up hearing SHAME ON YOU?

(all commments get you entered in my drawing sunday night midnight....every comment gets a new entry.)

Comments

Sarah said…
I am going to check out that book! I was raised with good old fashion midwestern guilt.
Anonymous said…
Oh you betcha! The most simple transgression was met with a "you are an awful person" guilt trip.
Unknown said…
I've on felted one piece and it did not turn out how I wanted at all. Glad yours worked out!
Unknown said…
I've read that book. It was so good! I want to read her new one, "The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are".
Alyssa said…
:P From an environmental standpoint, making your own bag is much better than buying a bag, wince even buying a felted bag reduces all the pollution from that process.

If you think about it, they used the same raw materials (yarn) But a felted bag is knit up on machines in some third world, not only using electricity, oil, and coal, but then it's felted in an industrial vat with bleach, dyes, and other chemicals that you probably didn't use!

So, from this environmentalist, you're good :D
Katherine said…
Your felted bag is beautiful! I figure that whatever it cost in water and electricity it saved in sanity (I believe knitting saves my sanity).

Shame? I was an only child so I didn't get the shame/blame game. Everything I did was right. Ha Ha!! I've spent my adult years getting slammed with the very real knowledge that not everything I do it right!! This method takes a toll as well.
SissySees said…
"Remember who you are and what you represent" held me in line... still does. Still curious about that book though.
Z said…
I'm not sure if I grew up with shame...I probably did and just didn't realize it.

I'm disabled, so I'm sure that I felt bad about myself growing up. So maybe I did grow up with shame.

I'm going to write a post about this one day, but I don't get blocking and felting. Maybe blocking means the item needs to be in the water longer or agitated more than felting?
SusanB-knits said…
Great lookin' purse! I can't wait to see what button you put on it.
Paige said…
Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to check it out on Goodreads. Your bag looks great even before the embellishment!

Popular posts from this blog

Every Once in a While I Might Post

I'm Making Bunny Rabbits

Do You Smile When You Knit???