Super Fashions.....Family Circle August 1972

How about that snazzy knit -right- in -the -pocket kerchief vest? C'mon, if anyone out there in blog land actually knitted this back then or knows someone who did.....fess up! There's a prize in it for you.

I came across the Magazine in our library freebie bin. It was 25 cents then. The lead: 20 super fasions to knit, crochet, sew-PLUS handy Knitting Guage. (the handy gauge was no longer in the freebie .)

If anyone wants to see more, let me know. This is a fun trek back in time. Oh, and the font back then was miniscule. There are more cigarette ads in this magazine than anything else.

Ling-Ling the first panda gift from China to US was 21 months old. The Bundt Cake with a tunnel of filling was announced. There are a few douche and feminine spray ads......both of which are not suggested for use anymore. Oh, and the feature:

Julie Nixon Eisenhower;s White House herlooms you can stitch.

The Money-Saving Main Dish of the month: Hot Dog Reuben Sandwiches. Sauerkraut, swiss, may, fankfurters , butter, prepared mustard , atop rye bread, broiled in the toaster oven.

What a find eh? I couldn't wait to share it with my blogfolk!




Comments

monica said…
I didn't knit that vest, but I do have some Vogue knitting magazines from the 70's and 80's. I found myself saying, "what were they thinking?" But it is also neat to see the classic designs from then and saying " I would knit that .... and wear it" It is fun to look back at them.
Anonymous said…
Careful, now --- some of us were wearing things our mommies knit out of those magazines "back then". . . (No built-in hankies, sadly.)
Pat K said…
I've got some old knit and craft mags. Some things in them are obviously pretty bizarre, but there's a lot of good inspiration in them, too. I wouldn't get rid of any of mine.
Kathy... said…
I was 20 at the time, and not knitting much. Trekking over the mountains of Colorado as a newlywed! What fun...memories!!

I have many knitting magazines from the late 80's thur "modern times" and still find classic patterns from time to time. Usually a slight modification brings things back to life quite nicely. Perhaps not the hanky, however!!
Hege said…
The black and white is kind of cute, though, except for the collar! ;) I have some crazy mags from the seventies, too. Even worse than that!

Popular posts from this blog

The nearly Thousandth post Contest

Talk to you in the comments Contest

Cookie Sheet Blanket Contest .....