All About The Knitting…warning…this may contain poor grammar

When in Norfolk, I found this pattern called the Speck Butterfly Shrug.  Friend Kathy C. has knitted this type of sweater/wrap.  Her's have come out just lovely.   I thought it was up NEXT for me,  but I suddenly have many patterns I'm interested in all at once.  

Al has finished the baby blanket in true Knit time.  (before the baby arrived)  I have an image she sent me of the white border around it, but I can't load it onto this page.  Sorry.  I know you!  You have wonderful imaginations…you know it is so pretty.  Pretty pretty pretty!

My Mixed Berry socks (in Malabrigo Arroyo which is 100% washable merino wool), are moving right along.   Color: 120 Lotus if you want to know.  


Then came a Tweet by Grace…..

Grace's finish : Striped Trap by Asars (a free Pattern on Ravelry),   The ease of this pattern is calling me….calling me …..calling me.  
I cannot use the yarn suggested due to alpaca / fibers up the nose and allergies……so I 'm in the substitution holding area.   Ideas? 

How do you successfully substitute yarns and get the right look? 
I need help ladies….I often fail on this end and it can be a knit disaster…..
any suggestions? Helpful hints?  Tried and true yarn tables somewhere?






Comments

Nancy said…
Wow, lots of lovely knits in this post!

Do you have a link to the pattern Al used for the blanket?
Kat said…
Ooh! The striped trap definitely looks intriguing!! Love how your socks are working up, too!
Anonymous said…
Those socks are so cute! They will look great with blue jeans for sure!
kathy b said…
Nancy

I will get the link from Al and post it sorry. I should have done that from the start.
Kim in Oregon said…
Interesting about the Koigu comment--because my first thought was to use koigu for the Striped trap!
Katherine said…
Your socks are beautiful and Al's baby blanket is adorable. I substitute yarns a lot but I try not to set myself up for disappointment by expecting it to look the same as the pattern. Hmmmm striped trap--gotta have it!
Mereknits said…
I saw that shawl and it made me want to jump into the computer and grab it, I love it but I will not succumb!
Hugs,
MEredith
SissySees said…
I go to Ravelry and click on the project and see what yarns have been used. Sadly (or not?) I usually have one or two of the already-used-before yarns in my stash. Hem.
kathy b said…
Channon I went to raverly and did just that. ALmost everyone used the Berrocco so Im going to trust it
Araignee said…
That sock yarn looks good enough to eat.
I'm not a fan of alpaca or bamboo. Both give me the itchy sneezies.
As for substitutions, I agree with the Ravelry trick. I do it all the time. Also for picking a color.
Unknown said…
Great looking projects!! I would be tempted by them too. When substituting, I look the same weight of yarn and similar drape.
elns said…
I had to go and look up the striped trap! It looks great. I say just substitute something with a similar drape, ask the lady at the LYS, I'm no good for the recommendation myself. Great knitting post. lots of good stuff Kathy!

Popular posts from this blog

Every Once in a While I Might Post

I'm Making Bunny Rabbits

Do You Smile When You Knit???