Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Study in my own Knitting



I had a farm in Africa. Oops. I mean, I fell in love with a colorway.

When I saw this colorway knitted up in a sweater at my LYS, I had to find a project for it. The sweater was out beause I would itch. Although, I was attracted to it because it was a simple turtleneck and there would be no challenge to the pattern reading.
Not that I was looking for a challenge.

So Santa brought me this Taos from Tahki Yarns . I won't tell you that someone threatned Santa a teeny bit, regarding this gift. I was KIDDING Santa, just kidding.

This is the incorrect back of the Rowan Big Wool pattern Saffron vest. I have since frogged it. But, look at that colorway!

I think this is a great project for me. The stitches are BIG. The frogging is nearly painless. The pattern is difficult however.
In a moment of Christmas cheer, Al wrote out the shaping for me..........

Wait wait, I am going to try the REVERSE shaping on my own today.

So about the study:
I
a): Choose the yarn after seeing it knit up.
This is a good way for me to not be disappointed.
I've learned from my past. (it took years, but ...)

b) Waited for it to be given to me as a gift.
This is a good way for me to feel guiltless about the yarn.

c) Needed to work a big stitch project to see progress fast, and
be able frog it and reknit it fast, the same day. This keeps my
mind on the WIP. I am not tempted to put it down because I fell defeated.

d) Felt comfortable enough yesterday, to not believe the almight pattern for
once in my knit life. I reknit the front left by looking at the back and doing
what made sense. HUGE leap for me. Huge.

we'll see if it was the right thing to do!

5 comments:

Ling said...

Hi Kathy
Happy New Year.
I love the colourway. Good luck with the project.

Emily said...

January is a great month to set outside your comfort zone (especially with guiltless yarn). Way to not trust the pattern!

Bernadette said...

Wow! Looks like you have learned quite a bit, and expanded your knowledge of yourself and your knitting. Your deserve a "Fearless Knitter" badge! The Interweave Knits newsletter recently made up a badge for fearless knitting in 2008 - you can grab it from them http://www.knittingdaily.com/ (or from my blog, if you like!) Great job!!!

Katherine said...

Lovely colorway! Some of my favorite colors all together. I know it will be beautiful. Have a wonderful year of knitting!

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous array of colors. I can see why you were drawn to it. Best of luck with the sweater. I know you'll knit it up into something absolutely gorgeous.

Blog Archive