Not to be Negative: but Negative EASE rocks.


Chicago Botanic Gardens had a pumpkin event last week.
A friend sent me this photo from the event. 
******
I'm here to tell you I'm almost finished with my second Seventh hat. 
Love the pattern, the Zara yarn and the negative ease.

I really didn't understand the negative ease idea until this hat. 
I'd explain it as a way to get a perfect fit on a warm hat that won't fall off.

Negative ease is only a knit term,  or so I've read.
You can't obtain negative ease with fabric and sewing.
It is a way of assuring things will be hugging your body.
Be it a sweater that shows your curves, or a hat that really really works.  

So if the hat is knitted with a stretchy yarn, like Zara, it is created with fewer stitches in the pattern than you would normally cast on. 
This is how the negative ease is achieved. 

In other words, it won't work with cotton or a yarn that does not have any spring in it. 
Don't even try it friends. 

Busty friends who knit sweaters that applaud those curves, are using negative ease.  
If you want drape, use more stitches and there will be no cling. 

I'm not creating any patterns, but understanding this concept is a AHA for me. !   I'll look for more hat patterns with negative ease.

Let's be positive about Negative!



Comments

Negative ease is also ideal in socks - keeps them nice and snug.
It's why I go down a needle size, and knit the foot about half an inch shorter than my actual foot.
Tired Teacher said…
Looks like Cub Fever has hit your area - pumpkins and cakes. Enjoy the ride!
Teresa Kasner said…
Neat pumpkin! I'm glad you're enjoying the knitting technique.. looking forward to seeing your finished hat! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)
Katherine said…
I use negative ease to make socks fit my very narrow feet. It's magic! I've never thought about using the technique to make hats fit better. Thanks for the tip!! I love the pumpkin.
Vera said…
Love the pumpkin! I need to use that technique on socks.
Betsy said…
I agree! When I discovered negative ease it was as if a light bulb had gone off. Love the pumpkin too!
Blessings,
Betsy
Anonymous said…
It took me a while to learn those terms. I don't worry about gauge in the body of a hat, only the ribbing where yes, negative ease is a must as I had learned in a beanie for stitches in Wool of the Andes. The ribbing expanded after a blocking. I can still wear it but it's not tight like I like.
Araignee said…
I learned all about that in my Custom Fit class by Amy Herzog on Craftsy. I knit and knit and nothing ever fits-but socks. At least I have that right. I am going to start a sweater using her techniques as soon as I get the time to see if I can finally get one that works for me.
I just learned all about that with the cardi I just finished only it was positive ease. It turned out really nice and fit perfect. Haven't tried anything with negative ease yet.
Delighted Hands said…
I'm glad you are spreading the word! We use negative ease on socks, too!
AsKatKnits said…
Those hats are darling! And here is what I wish that all designers would do - tell me the amount of ease, the size of model AND the size she is wearing. It does not help me just to tell me the ease amount - I need more information that that! :)
Judy S. said…
Great to see a photo from the Botanical Garden as we've not been there for a while. Nice pitch for negative ease, too!
Mereknits said…
Great explanation, go CUBS!

Popular posts from this blog

Every Once in a While I Might Post

I'm Making Bunny Rabbits

Do You Smile When You Knit???