Wednesday, January 20, 2016

All's Right in my Knit World

 I'm back to my beloved sock knitting. 
This one is amusing me in Happy Feet. 

Having just read KNITTING RULES by Stephanie Pearl McPhee,
I made a few changes. 

I knit on 5 needles and it did indeed keep the stitches more even. 
She made perfect sense to me in all her instructions. 

I also made my gusset larger.  I have wide feet so I did not decrease to the original 48 stitches before working the body.
I decreased to 54. 

The second sock is already cast on. 


I took this photo for the Knit Shop's blog awhile ago.
It is Alchemy's color duet cowl.
You need 2 skeins of Tweedy for this beauty. 


Finally, we have some fresh snow this morning. 
I love a fresh inch every few days.
Nothing severe.
Nothing too duanting for those who worry about travel. 
Just a pretty upgrade to my view out the window! 


13 comments:

Betsy said...

I use her pattern for socks too. Simple and easy. Easily adjusted for a custom fit too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Stefanie said...

Vanilla sock knitting is always a comfort. I have Ann Budd's sock book and love it. It's the best. I also have Laura Chau's Teach Yourself Visually Sock Knitting; it's a pretty good book but Ann's is my fave for cuff down. Laura has a great toe up tutorial which I had used once and that style of sock really fit my feet best.

Araignee said...

Totally adorable sock!!!
We are expecting to get hammered here on Friday. Anywhere from 2-40 inches is being predicted. I am not in the mood for the 40 but the 2 sounds okay.

Katherine said...

Lovely snow!! We have only had a sprinkling but expecting more.

I have always knit socks on 5 needles because it is easier for me to knit the heel with two needles front and two needles back. I remember if I learned it from SPM but she has great ideas so maybe I did.

Love the colors of that sock!

elns said...

It looks like cotton on the trees outside! Like fake snow! hahaha! Shows you what us Californians know, heh.

I tell you, a return to sock knitting always feels ... good. Just comforting. At least a vanilla sock. I am in the midst of trying some kind of pattern. We shall see how it goes. Do you like sock yarn or do you use a heavier weight? Just curious. I see a lot of these dk and sport weight socks now.

Teresa Kasner said...

Good job on the sock. I wish we had some snow.. I mean.. why endure winter if it aint gonna be pretty? :-)
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

kathy b said...

Ellen

I usually almost always without exception but sometimes
use sockweight . Is that clear as mud? Very not often I'll use a thicket worsted but I just love me some size 2 needles and springy sock yarn!

Dee said...

Very pretty cowl! Glad you sock knitting mojo is back! :-)

Caffeine Girl said...

I learned most of what I know about socks from that book. I've long knit socks on 5 dpns and can't imagine how anyone deals with four. When I'm doing stockinette, I place a marker at the beginnign of the round and change which stitches are on which needles every 8 to 10 rows to avoid ladders.

Gorgeous cowl!

Tired Teacher said...

I admire those who can knit socks with DPNs, but I'll stick with my two circulars.

Delighted Hands said...

Nothing like a sock to restore your knitting wa !
Pretty cowl!

Beth Coleman said...

If you're like me, sock knitting feels like an old friend!

Mereknits said...

Wonderful sock, on to number two! We have rain today, I love it.
Meredith

Blog Archive