Chicagoan Under Beautiful Shawl



I don't know if the only thing better would be to tell you that I knitted this Forget Me Not Shawl, or if that would ruin the fact that I WON it. (yes I WON It) Better, I think to be overjoyed that Grace from lovincomfortknits.blogspot.com is so generous she knits lace shawls and gives them away. This lady knits shawls like they are baby stuff! She used double elann merino which was hand dyed by her husband. I'm still trying to get myself to give away some socks that felted into slippers last year! I knit things for others and decide I'm keeping them myself. As if the shawl wasn't magnificent enough by itself, she also sent candles that smell like a fall in a very gentle way. Oh, and a K magnet. If you want to knit a lace shawl for someone you love, she has a free Comforting Hearts Shawl Pattern on her blogsite. Grace is really really giving.

a few other things:
no hummers yet...still.....

My purple sweater had a big problem last Saturday night. Seems my lifeline somehow wasn't so lifesaving. I had to have dropped two dozen stitches here and there. My first mistake was trying to pick them up on the purl row. I was so irate at myself that I nearly, just nearly though, didn't go for a gelato with Huck and Troy at dusk. The butterfinger gelato had a sugary calming effect, altho there weren't any actual candy pieces in it. This is why a Dairy Queen Butterfinger Blizzard is far superior. Huck got to lick both our cups when we were finshed. I think Troy may actually have left a little in the cup for Huck. I figured what with his magnificent sense of smell, he'd get past the fact that I had licked my bowl practically dry. No matter, I got him a kiddie cone yesterday. The season is short and icecream cones won't be happening much this winter for Hucky.

So I managed to go back and do all the pick up and reknitting by myself. (Al wouldn't have had time to help and I am incapable of stopping with this sweater. ) Im hoping a good washing and blocking, (ah I love you washable merino) will eliminate any glaring imperfections in stitch definition. Now, I am in the waist shaping area, and am tempted to add a bit of another color to this area........

Talk me out of it PLEASE. I once knit a cute hobo bag with scrap yarns and managed to put a single row of torquoise next to the deep purple and it set it off so beautifully! Now, I'm thinking of mixing it up with a bit, just a bit, of torquoise again. While trying buttons against it this morning, it just looked so "You could have bought me at Kohl's-ish" in all it's plainness. I could post a picture of the hobo bag and how cute it was set off with just a hint of torquoise.

AM I JUST MAKING ALL YOU COLOR Gifted people cringe with this idea? Sometimes you have to gently tell me ....that's not gonna work!........



I'll talk to you in the comments. :)

Comments

rita said…
Wow, what a generous lady and a beautiful shawl! I'm glad you won.

I never change color in my knitting if I can avoid it! I hate hate hate weaving in ends, so that would stop me right there, no matter how great I thought it would look!
Karen said…
Lovely shawl!!! See, you have a lucky streak too, winning that shawl!!!

Hmmm, a turquoise stripe? Hard for me to picture it. I'm not big on stripes though - so I'd say leave it out and go with turquoise buttons. But what do I know - if you think it will look good, go for the stripe!!

Oh, and I firmly believe blocking was invented to smooth out wonky stitches. ;)
Jolynn said…
I think that without the stripe it would be more wearable... But I also think you should do what you like... I don't think,however, that I have been any help. ^_^
Jennifer said…
GET OUTTA TOWN! You won that? No way. It looks like it was made for you. The color is perfect for you. I can hardly wait to see where you where this. Please tell hubby that I said this shawl deserves a Date Night. It really MUST go out and be seen.

I'm so happy for you. What a generous knitter to give them away.
The shawl is amazing! I'd have a hard time giving something like that away.

Go plain with the sweater. I think you'll like it better in the end that way.
Bianca said…
What a wonderful huggable shawl!
Anonymous said…
The shawl is amazing! You know my issues with lace, so when I first saw the picture I thought "If she knitted that I'm headed to Chicago to take lessons!"

I love it that you buy Huck a kiddie cone! Macy always gets the last half of my cone as my calorie saving method.

Adding color to the purple sweater? Don't laugh, but I would add red. I told you not to laugh!
Beautiful shawl and the perfect color for you. It was meant to be I'd say.

Popular posts from this blog

Every Once in a While I Might Post

I'm Making Bunny Rabbits

Do You Smile When You Knit???