A pair of nines



I was doing some OWR knitting, (orthodontist waiting room) this afternoon, when another woman began her OWR knitting. Delighted I was, to knit with another. This may make me not look so geekish, to the son that is when he comes from the torture chamber, I postulated....Truth is he is so used to me knitting anywhere, everywhere, that he looks at me strangely when I am NOT knitting.

The other OWR knitter took out a lovely big baby blanket with a repeat pattern. She told me how it was easy to memorize (pardon me, but I have NEVER been able to memorize more than 3 step pattern rows without faling miserably. I have tried sticky notes and other tricks. I just cannot seem to knit quietly enough to keep my place.) Conversation went the way of LYS, blankets edges and finishing deadlines for soon to be born babes.

Then she mentioned to me that she only knits with a pair of 9's. She doesn't have any other needles, so she adjusts ALL her patterns to this pair of 9's. My first thought was, how smart she is. Imagine, you knit everything on a pair of 9's. That eliminates a whole bunch of catergories. (SOCKS, I gasped in my racing mind, that means no socks......)

So this begs the question: If you could only knit with one size needles what size would they be? Is there a universal size?

Hence my pair of nines, post, with Fanny Mae chocolate bar and birthday angora ....because I must be lost on a desert island if I can only knit with one pair of nines.....what do you think of this? And I was worried about what to post today...

Comments

Jennifer said…
Tough one. I think I'd have to say US Size 6. Although I'd need a pair o size 8s, too (you know for sweaters and cuffs, etc). Great questions. Imagine all the money I would save. Would they be straight, dpns, or circulars? This is a mind boggling question.
Irisheyes Lynn said…
Hmmm. I think probably size 7 for me. Not too big, not too small. But I like buying new needles, so it would never work for me!
Alyssa said…
That is a great question! I guess I would go with size 2's --that way I could do socks and fine gauge sweaters...
Anonymous said…
I would be prone to go for about an 8. I don't do really fine knit things, at least not yet. so they would be easy to adjust for blankets, scarves etc.


Ltnn
Anonymous said…
6s, definitely 6s. I love working with DK weight yarn, although I do love the fingering weight too... hmmm, nope, if I only had to choose one size for my desert island knitting, it would be a 6 (to go with my desert island yarn, "Silky Wool", mmmm).

What an interesting encounter!

Johanna
Jofrog is Knitfrog

Popular posts from this blog

Every Once in a While I Might Post

I'm Making Bunny Rabbits

Do You Smile When You Knit???